A Stream that Flows from Ravensdale Woods to the Saw Mill River
Planting on Farragut Parkway
Headwaters are critical ecosystems that contribute to the life of rivers. Read this article from American Rivers to understand the imperative for protecting small streams.
The Hastings Conservation Commission has conducted four planting sessions on Boutillier's Brook where it meets the Saw Mill River, thanks to NYS DEC's Trees for Tribs grant program, and with help from numerous volunteer residents and Groundwork Hudson Valley's Green Team. Nine hundred trees and shrubs have been planted. The area was formerly a mound of porcelain berry and Japanese knotweed with areas of mown lawn, all of which are shallow-rooted and provide little sustenance for area fauna. We will continue to remove invasive vines and knotweed and nurture the new plants to bring this riverine corridor to a healthier ecological state. Doing so will not only help mitigate erosion, but will also contribute to the health of the Saw Mill and Hudson rivers downstream.
This is what happens when you don't remove invasive vines #thankyoumatthobby:
Our long-term vision. The section we are restoring first is on NYS DOT (Dept of Transportation) property, for which we were awarded a work permit. Not addressed here is our goal of restoring the northern spurs (see right) above Nepperhan Avenue, which are on neglected Village property. The western spur was used as an unofficial dump for years. See this photo album for pics.
Boutillier's Brook's northern spurs. It wends through Village property between Farragut Ave and Farragut Parkway.
1870 map of Mrs. T. Le Boutillier's property, over which the brook flowed. Note that the brook starts on Mrs. M. Lefurgy's land in a small pond next to a quarry. That small pond is still there, in a backyard just north of Ravensdale Road at Rosedale. This map shows the brook continuing onto Equitable Insurance Company land, but doesn't show the brook's full course.
This 1867 map, from a slightly different angle, shows the brook, beginning near a quarry, on land then owned by Mrs. Riker. It flows through T. Le Boutilier's land (spelled here with one "L"), crossing Farragut Avenue onto L. Pignolet's property, and finally joining the Saw Mill River on Frank Curry's farm.
The brook's course now runs under Ravensdale Road, through Dan Rile Park, and then under Fenwick and Brandford Roads and Farragut Avenue. It emerges in a forgotten triangle of Village land where it is joined by a western tributary. It then travels behind homes on Nepperhan Avenue, crosses under Farragut Parkway, wends through a wooded section, and recrosses under Farragut Parkway to our present planting site. Finally, it joins the Saw Mill River at the corner of Farragut Parkway and the Saw Mill River Parkway.